So I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my grades. A little known fact in the real world is that in law school, you get your grades no sooner than a month after the semester ends. And since my official graduation date was December 21, 2007, I was hoping that I passed my classes so that I wouldn't have to go back for yet another super senior year. Our grades finally came out this last week, and I passed all 3 of my graded classes and my two pass/fail classes! Therefore, I will be receiving my actual diploma in the next few weeks. Finally! It's nice to make it to this point and be done with my education after 7 and 1/2 years of school. But you would think I would start out pulling in the big bucks after doing that much school. Alas, as my mom pointed out last night, I'll be making less my first year as an attorney than Aimee does with a couple years of college as an office manager. Pretty brutal, but let's be honest--I get to carry around a police baton for my job, so that clearly makes up for the pay disparity. But even when I'm officially a J.D., I'll have to wait until about mid-April or even May to find out if I pass the bar. I'm taking it at the end of February and studying a lot until then. So if you see me between now and then and I am even less able than usual to carry on a conversation, it's because my mind is crowded with information about hearsay, holders in due course, homicide, and the like. If I can keep all of that straight and perform well on the bar, then I'll be official for real. But you never know--I might fail and have to retake it, but I really hope not!
Blair is also hoping to be official in the next little while. He's in the process of getting in the 'agent pool' at State Farm. I've learned that not only does the insurance world have its own language, but State Farm adds another layer of complexity with its own lingo and acronyms. We went to a meeting last week for the people who are beginning the interview process, and I think they threw about 15 acronyms at us that we were expected to remember the rest of the day. I was a little overwhelmed by everything they told us, but it didn't bother Blair at all. He's very positive about all of it and very motivated. So we're hoping that he will be able to do the interview in the next few months to be able to get into the agent pool. Once he's in the agent pool, then he can interview for specific agency openings around the country. We might look at stuff outside of Utah, but Blair is converted to Utah (honestly!), so we'd like to stick around Utah somewhere if we can. I'm not saying Utah County necessarily, but it's a definite possibility. So we'll see. Any day now, we'll both be full-fledged adults with careers. Weird!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So lucky to be done with school. Good luck with bar studying. Glad to find you guys in the blogging world. Hope you're doing well.
yeah! i love that you guys have a blog! i can't wait to hear all the good news about you passing the bar! (you've got to think positive, right?) :) i'm looking forward to being done with school too so that wade doesn't have to foot all of our bills... and the no more studying part is pretty appealing too!!
Post a Comment