Saturday, October 11, 2008

A few of my favorite things

And they're not gay stuff like whiskers on kittens. Who thought of that, anyway, Julie Andrews herself? No, I'm talking about things that I actually love about this time of year. I really love all sorts of recipes with pumpkin, for instance. Some of my favorites are pumpkin oatmeal cookies, pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting, and a savory pumpkin soup. And don't say ew, like Aimee kept doing last weekend when I saw a new recipe for it because it's really good. I also love the cold weather and storminess because that means soup season. I love throwing together a great soup on a cold gray day, like creamy potato soup with cheese and dill, tomato basil soup, mexican tortilla soup, white chicken chili, minestrone or a cheesy broccoli. I'm thinking that a creamy potato soup with cornbread is sounding especially good today since the high is supposed to be about 40 degrees.
I also really like running outside when it's cold, but only if I have adequate running gear, like tights and decent socks. I love feeling the cold on my face and ears and letting off steam. And then taking a nice hot shower afterward to try and get warm and thaw out the icy flesh. And how about the way that the leaves smell at this time of year when they're changing color and falling? I totally love it. It's really indescribable, but if you go hiking or around changing leaves in the fall, you know the smell that I'm talking about. The beauty of all the reds, yellows, and oranges is pretty great too.
Also conference, jackets, sweaters, scarves, baseball playoffs, college football. I've gotta say, the combination of all these great things makes fall my favorite time of the year. What could be better?

7 comments:

jeff&lynn said...

Does Blair eat potato soup? I hear he doesn't even eat fries! :) I'm not a big fan of really cold weather, but I really do enjoy fall. I'm with you on the soups too. I love soup. Unfortunately Jeff doesn't share my enjoyment for pumpkin. It's forty degrees in October!? I don't think I'm ready for that yet. It's in the 70s here today. Hope everything is going well. We miss you guys!

Brenda said...

You just made me really hungry ;). Pumpkin oatmeal cookies? Will you send me the recipe and how about a few soup recipes - I am trying to cook more veggies for Ian. ;) THANKS!!

sara and wade said...

i agree! what could be better!?! we love the fall too and miss that season especially right now!
and you make me super hungry... what would it take to persuade you to share your delicious soup recipes?! they sound fabulous!

candice said...

Hey, how did your soup turn out? Sounds so yummy! Let's have a soup date when it gets cold again!

Team Su'a said...

Hey Lucas', we love the pictures and looking forward to staying in touch.

nic said...

so here I am waiting and waiting to see pictures of your new house . . . starting to get impatient. what? do you think you just moved or something?

Kendal and Kendra said...

Dear Blair and Sara-

Well I was looking at our blog this morning and thought we never exchanged our blog websites last night with you guys so I decided to try to find your guys' and I was lucky! Cute blog by the way! You guys are such a great couple and we loved finally getting to spend some time together. Thank you for such a great meal and great conversation. We'd really like to have you guys up soon--hopefully sooner rather than later! We love your place--blair nice job on the decor choices! Have a great week and we'll see you soon. -Com Amor e paixao,
Kendal and Kendra