Thursday, January 29, 2009

Really?

As always, sorry for the lack of posting--you know the reason. I just gotta say, though, every time I bring up the ol' blog (mainly to go to other blogs since I'm clearly not coming to do a post...), I see our picture at the top and think, "Man, how did I snag that guy? He is so great!" Because let's be honest, he really is. I think it's funny when people tell me how great he is because I think, "Well, obviously! Why do you think I married the guy?" I mean, I guess that some people marry people who are clearly not great. Case in point, there was a man in court today who can't pay his child support to the two mothers of his 5-6 children because he's spending his money on his current family, which presumably means he has a third wife or at least the mother of his children. Really? How do men like this have super-sperm and are somehow able to impregnate a multitude of women? I mean, I understand how human reproduction works, but really?? I mean, honestly, I know so many really great men and women whose genes would be very welcome in the proverbial pool that are able to get very few or even none of their genes out there, while certain people like the aforementioned man are the model of fecundity. What happened to survival of the fittest? Clearly the term originally meant those who are physically the most capable of survival by reproducing the most, but I mean socially, mentally, and morally fit. You know, along the lines of eugenics (mostly kidding here).

And don't act like it's even limited to ridiculous men, this freakish superhuman capacity to spread one's seed at an abnormally high and (literally) insupportable rate. There was a woman today--who happened to be incredibly large, by the way, but that's the subject of a later discussion--who was in front of the court for failure to pay child support, and she said that the reason she couldn't pay it, similar to our male friend above, was because she was using her (new) husband's money to pay for her (new) kids, which she called her 'family,' incidentally, as if the kids from her previous marriage were not her family. I think this was the point when the commissioner said, "You know, we have a saying in the law, 'First families first.'" I don't know how the lady got custody of the kids she has now, I guess just because she birthed them and was still married to their dad, but she clearly was not providing any support to the kids from her previous marriage. And from how many aliases she had, it sounded like she had been remarried numerous times. The whole time I wanted to jump up on my desk and scream at all the asinine people in there about how being able to bear children and be a parent is a blessing and not a burden. Rest assured, I didn't, but I was somewhat vindicated when the commissioner found the woman in contempt and sent her straight to jail for 5 days. The longer I'm around and deal with people, the less I understand the world of fertility and human reproduction. It must be one of the most skewed aspects of human existence. I know, a little dramatic, but really??

7 comments:

Harmony said...

I clicked on you cutest blog icon and I love it! i always wondered how you made your background so cute! thanks...anyway you and blair need to come and visit us
love
harmony

jeff&lynn said...

I would like to second your comments. Seriously.

Oh, and I was way wrong when I thought by moving out here I'd get away from everyone and their mom having babies...cause seriously everyone is prego in our ward. No joke.

Anyway, we still miss you guys too!!

Brenda said...

I was just thinking that maybe you should write a book about some of the crazy cases that you see in court and your feelings about them. I think it would be awesome.
PS I love it when you add to your blog!

nic said...

Oh, Sara. I love reading your hilarious stuff. Really. With all this court action You have great fodder for SNL's Really?! sketch. Maybe you could be Seth's new co-host. It is rather unfortunate that these type of people seem to leech fertility. Another testament to the fact that birth control should be in the water supply and therefore getting pregnant would be a conscious, planned decision.

sara and wade said...

really?! honestly... ditto. and i love these posts... they totally remind me of the SNL sections... you should check them out if you haven't already...

ps... i'm so glad that you were able to stay at our house, but i'm sorry i wasn't there!! i hope you were able to manuevre around all the junk in my spare bedroom... sorry about that... and thanks for the nice thank you card! you guys are the greatest! can't wait to see you sometime... hopefully sooner than later!

Kendal and Kendra said...

You sound like me a little over a year ago- right before we got Kristin. It is so hard to see people not want their kids, and to even take them for granted. We have a neighbor that just lets their 9 month old baby cry- non stop. I understand letting your kid cry it out every now and again, but you ahve to remember at 9 months your child is not self sufficient, and cna hardly move around, let alone take care of themselves. I can't stand to watch this poor guy suffer, so we just can't hangout. The parents don't even look at him when he is crying- this is in front of us, so I have to wonder what goes on at home- ahhh! It seems that somehow teenage boys have supersperm too- what is that all about?! There are many people that could use that gift- and the only explanation for these things- everything happens in perfect timing- it just may not make perfect sense to us until after it happens! Sorry so long! Let's get together soon!

The Lovells said...

Really!?! That is a classic post. It sounds like you have quite the adventures with stupid and apparently extremely fertile people. Good luck with it all.