Monday, June 7, 2010

Tryouts

Not the kind that you're thinking of that sort of make you want to throw up or pee your pants. Tryouts of the kind where I am trying something out, giving it a test run, if you will. And what does that even mean? I a lot of the time wonder where certain sayings come from, especially when people get them wrong. That is the best, when you hear someone try and use a well-known saying and totally botch it. I know you've heard people do it before, and I have too, but I can't think of any good ones right now even though it happened frequently in court. I'll let you know if I think of any in the next couple minutes. Anyway, I've been trying a few new things out lately, and some of them are not too bad.

#1. Of the group I said are not too bad, this is not a member. I am off sugar for June, and possibly longer if I can. Woohoo. But actually, I am not as ticked off about it as you would think. After the withdrawal headaches the first week, I am feeling great. Today is day 7, with however many more to go. The weekdays are not too bad, but I thought I was going to have to throw in the towel on day 5 with the combination of a ward party and then a trip to a mom & pop diner with great shakes on Saturday night. But I held strong. I figure that if I publicize it enough, then I won't dare break it because there will be too many people who know if I fail. So thanks for keeping me accountable.

#2. Herbal tea. And not "the herb" (i.e., marijuana), if that's what you're thinking. This is not entirely new, but with the no sugar, I've been enjoying a cup of hot tea at night instead of frozen yogurt or cinnamon rolls or cookies or cake... But I digress. My current favorites are Bengal Spice and Honey Vanilla Chamomile. A new one that I'm giving a try is an herbal Detox. And not an intestinal detox, so don't get all grossed out and 'tmi!' on me. It's a detox blend that supports your liver and kidneys, which is great for endo, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. But let me tell you what, it is pretty dang gross. Not quite as bad as the herbal teas I had to choke down when I was going to the acupuncturist, but not friendly. I had to deviate tonight, though, and go with HVC for my taste buds. I'm going to stick with the Detox for a while and see how it goes. I'll let you know if my liver starts loving me.

#3. Cleaning my house. Why not, really? I mean, come on, Blair does all the day to day stuff (obviously he's the greatest), so it's not like we're living in filth. Or at least not total filth. But I did some housework on Friday night and all day Saturday when Blair was playing softball, and I loved how clean my house was. I just don't know how people do it when they work full time. I come home totally exhausted, but like I said before, I decided to give it up with the excuses and just get some stuff done. Plus, life is just so much easier when your house is clean, right?

#4. Waking up. You think I'm kidding, but I am so not a morning person. And don't ask Blair, because he'll tell you just how ridiculous it is and how many times I hit the snooze on my phone. So I am not doing too great on this one yet, but I am going to give it a good faith effort and see if I can make it a habit. If any of you have some good ideas for me on how to accomplish it, I am open to suggestions. Unless the suggestions are to (a) get a child that wakes up at all hours so I'll already be awake when it's time to get up anyway or (b) get a dog that has to go out in the wee hours (pun intended) so I'll already be awake. Neither of those are feasible or helpful, but feel free to give me any other ideas.

#5. Fish. Not sushi or oysters or anything crazy, just fish. We've been eating salmon once a week for health reasons for quite a while, but I recently discovered that white fish is not nearly so fishy. I wish someone would have told me that a while ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure that Blair did at one point, but I think it was after he tried to tell me that scallops are not fishy and I stopped trusting his gauge of fishiness. But it turns out one can make some pretty tasty stuff with white fish, especially if one is not opposed to sugary goodness in a sauce form on top.

So those are my tryouts. I'll let you know how they shape up in the next little while. Oh, and I recently discovered that ridiculous people and their stories might not be so much of a thing of the past as I thought. Turns out that I can still tell you about the ridiculousness as long as I don't reveal any client confidentialities. And keep in mind that the attorneys that I work with mostly do criminal work. Get ready for some good, ridiculous stuff. Remember that thing about criminals having really great decision making skills? Yep. It's coming.

7 comments:

Bren said...

Sara-I think you are AMAZING!
Whenever I need to get up early two things help going to bed at like 9 and praying. Good luck with your goals! We love you!!

carrie said...

Have you tried Talapia (Fish)? It is really good and on the cheaper side. We just started making fish tacos with it. I just spray a pan with nonstick cooking spray and then put salt and pepper and some chicken taco seasoning on it broil it for a few minutes on each side then I heat up some corn tortilla put a little fish a little lettuce, cheese some fresh Salsa or pico, salt and pepper and some lime juice, they are soo good! Give it a go! Good luck with all your Try-out, I hope you make it!!!!! (pun-pun!)

Gary said...

Salmon once a week...awesome! Sadly I am the only salmon lover in our household, so it has to wait for the occasional dinner out to a seafood place. Which means, when we drive 2 1/2 hours. *sigh*

I am excited for the stories. Fun times!

Susanna said...

I can only eat the whitest of white fish too. Good luck with all of your tryouts, I need to come up with a list for myself :)

Penny said...

You are awesome. I should try the fish thing too; I hate seafood. We finally broke down and got a cleaning service and I LOVE them! It's so hard to clean when we both work all day!! Good luck!

Susanna said...

Happy Birthday Sara! I was just looking at the calendar and thought of you. Hope it's great!

Ian said...

Love reading ur blogs. I'm able to get some Weeb humor even when I haven't seen you for too long!!