Monday, March 10, 2008

Ridiculousness + Movie Review

So I just have to say that some of the things that I am having to do right now just to be able to for sure get my new job are bordering on the ridiculous if they are not outright ridiculous, which Blair would argue that they are. For example, today I had to do the personality test portion of my psychological evaluation to make sure that I am psychologically fit to be a police officer, whatever that entails. I don't know how many people have taken one of these before, but they are pretty ridiculous (this is the word of the day, in case you didn't know).

One of them was 500+ questions long with those stupid true/false statements like "I would like to build a bench," and I'm not even kidding that there were questions like this. It wouldn't have been so aggravating if there had been fewer questions, which they could easily have done since about 50% were just repetitions of previous questions. I think they asked 15 or more variations on a true/false question of whether the test taker has suicidal tendencies, is paranoid, is delusional, drinks too much, is antisocial, is schizophrenic, and on and on. I thought it would have been a lot more efficient for them to just give me a questionnaire that asked if I was suicidal, paranoid, delusional, an alcoholic, schizophrenic, and all that. But instead, I spent 4 hours today answering true/false questions about whether I hear voices in my head and have friends. So if you ever have a chance to take one of these tests, i.e., you are forced to do so, get ready for some major repetition and redundancy.

But my life isn't all ridiculousness, just for a while here and there as I'm doing the prerequisites for my job. We actually watched 2 movies this weekend that both turned out to be pretty good.

The first one was 10,000 B.C., which, I'll admit, I wasn't dying to see when we saw the previews at another movie a few weeks ago, but I was excited when we went to it, especially since they put brown cave paper on the walls at the entrance to the theaters. The decorations increased my anticipation and made me enjoy the movie even more (note the sarcasm). It was actually
really good, though, and I really enjoyed it. There's nothing like a movie about eating woolly mammoth and living in their skeletons and trying to survive being kidnapped and forced into slave labor by people who worship a scary old man with bad fingernails to make you feel good about your life and living in the 21st Century. Seriously, though, I thought it was a good time, but Blair thought it was kind of slow.

The other one that we watched was No End in Sight. I was recently reminded of my desire to watch this movie from listening to Eddie Vedder's song No More (see the last post) and my general ignorance and incompetence when it comes to the war. And I realize that the points of view depicted in this film are not the only ones out there, but it was a huge eyeopener!! I would highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in the war and hasn't seen this movie yet. I don't usually like documentaries that I know are going to portray everything in a negative light, but this one isn't all negative, and I felt a lot more informed after watching it. I still want to continue to learn more about what's going on, but I thought it was a good jumping off point. Both Blair and I were shocked and angered by a lot of the things they said, but like I said, it's very informative.
So there you go. That's what we did this weekend, and I thought it was recreational time well spent.

1 comment:

The Wilkes said...

I love your updates about the whole job hiring process. The stuff you have to do is crazy. Good luck with that!