Another thing I love about July is the Ute Stampede, the best rodeo in Utah! I think that we have gone to this just about every year since I was 12. I tried to get some good pictures, but apparently my camera skills are not quite good enough yet to get action shots of bulls and whatnot. But I did manage to get a few. This is the arena from where we were sitting. A pretty good view of the chutes, which are at the right of the picture. It was a great night for a rodeo!
These are the buffaloes that were part of an act between events. They're pretty cool looking animals, but I don't know if they need to have dreadlocks...
Here's one of the shots that I got of the bulls. The blue blur behind the bull is the rider getting bucked off. It was a good night for bull riders--there were a lot that stayed on. I really enjoy a good bull ride, so I was getting into it, giving the fist pump and yelling and cheering a lot. I know, I'm kind of a dork, but I was having a good time.
Here's another bull rider. They had some pretty good bulls that were doing a lot of spinning and sideways jumping stuff.
I tried to get a picture of the fireworks that they do before the bull riding, but my timing wasn't good enough. I love it, though. They get the crowd all fired up for the bull riding (as if everyone isn't fired up enough about it already--I mean, isn't that what everyone comes to see?) by turning off all the lights in the arena and shooting off fireworks all around the edges. And it definitely works to get you fired up for the bulls!I tried to get some good pictures of me and my sisters, but apparently I was a little shaky because most of the pictures are blurry...
So we had 2 extra tickets and our good friends Cole Riding and Chance Rich came and sat with us, but Chance had already ditched us by this point. As you can see, Cole was very pleased to be hanging out with us.
The Sisters Finlinson having a good time at the rodeo.
Seriously, having a good time!
I didn't get a picture of my absolute favorite part about the Ute Stampede because we got there a few minutes late, so you'll just have to visualize it. Instead of just having someone sing the national anthem, they have a guy who jumps out of a plane with the biggest American flag you have ever seen and slowly comes down into the arena as "God Bless the USA" is playing. When he lands, they have a bunch of armed forces guys who are in uniform run out and pick up the edges of the flag so that it's not on the ground for very long, and then they hold it while someone sings the national anthem. It is so fantastic, and it prolongs the patriotism of the Fourth just a little bit longer. I would recommend going to the Ute Stampede for this feature alone, even if you're not a big rodeo-goer.Another thing I love about July is getting together with the fam. Nicole is in town this week, so we had to have a get together at my house on Sunday to hang out. Everyone was there except Andre & Brooke and their kids, so it was a pretty full house. Then this weekend, we have the Finlinson reunion, which is always a highlight of the summer. We have some pretty great extended family members, so it'll be fun to hang out with my dad's side this weekend and then my mom's side next weekend. We're going to have a fun-filled weekend, including hiking the Peak on Saturday morning, hanging out with the relatives most of the day on Saturday, and then having an Oak City dance to round out the weekend. I'll have to make sure to take the camera and get some good pics. Then next week is also Fiesta Days in Spanish Fork, which will include another rodeo and my very first 10k! Pioneer Day will be the best ever this year because it is a paid holiday for me, besides being a good opportunity to remember our ancestors. So July--pretty great month for us and full of fun activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment