Monday, April 14, 2008

BIG NEWS!!

No, we're not pregnant (unfortunately)... You always have to clear up that one right off the bat since that's typically the first thing that people think of when you say you have big news. No, but I got my results from the bar this weekend, and I passed!! And I don't usually use multiple exclamation points, so this is big, as you can tell from the previous sentence and the title. I realized a week or so ago that I haven't posted anything for a few weeks ago, but I feel lame doing a post when nothing has really happened, especially since we don't have kids and I can rarely think of interesting things to post. So since something big and exciting has happened, I feel justified in posting my good news. Anyway, back to the story at hand, we went to my parents' house this weekend. When we got back on Sunday, there was an envelope from the Utah State Bar in our mailbox. I was a little nervous--98% excited, 2% scared, or maybe 2% excited, 98% scared (name that movie...). I kind of wanted to tear it open right there in the drive way, but being the incredibly self-restrained person that I am, I calmly walked into the house and sat down on the couch for a few minutes until I was absolutely sure that I wanted to open it. Lucky for me, they don't play around with you, and the first sentence was "Dear Ms. Lucas: On behalf of the Utah State Bar...I am pleased to inform you that you have passed the February 2008 Utah State Bar Examination." Woo Hoo! I almost stopped reading out of pure joy, but it was a good thing that I didn't since the next sentence went on to describe the additional fees that I am now required to pay. By the time I am done with all of the licensing, I will have paid almost one grand just to have the label "attorney at law," so I'm really hoping that it pays off eventually since it won't be paying off this first year of work. So I'm very excited and relieved that I passed and that I will never have to study again (unless we move to another state). Blair tried to tell me yesterday that I passed because I'm smart or some nonsense like that, but I set him straight with the truth, which is that I prayed a lot for the two months leading up to it and then asked almost everyone I knew to pray for me the week I took the bar. So that's the secret, I guess. And now I'll be saying prayers of thanks for the next two months because I totally could not have done this on my own. Yay x3 + sigh of relief!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

So when are we going to have a party to CELEBRATE? And, I'm with Blair - they praying helps - but I am positive that your smartness was a big reason why you passed. :)
So how are the push-ups comin?

The Wilkes said...

That's awesome. Congrats! We're going to be out in Utah the first week of August for my brother's wedding...so plan on a visit from us.

Abby said...

Congrats!! That's an awesome and amazing accomplishment. Smartness definitely played a part along with the prayers, but then I always knew you were a smarty pants! Make sure you celebrate! And we really should plan a party with everyone sometime.

The Kolste Family said...

Congrats! that really is big news! It must feel great to have it all finished! Good Luck with everything. We are looking forward to hearing how being sprayed in the face with pepper spray is! Miriam

sara and wade said...

SWEET!!! (notice the extra exclamation points!) we are so proud of you!! and of course the praying is such a big part of it, but you are probably the smartest female that i know... and Jessica Jensen agrees with me! congrats! you rock!

Rachel Gillie said...

Congratulations Sara that is awesome, you are still one of the smartest gals I know! I'm seriously proud of your accomplishment, which is silly since it is your accomplishment and not mine, but I just think that it is pretty swell for a a beautiful girl to have her life in perspective with a happy marriage and is still able to kick butt through law school. So, overall I think you're amazing!